International News

Spanish court calls for Barcelona forward Neymar to serve two-year prison sentence

Spanish court calls for Barcelona forward Neymar to serve two-year prison sentence

International News
Spanish prosecutors have called for Barcelona forward Neymar to be sent to prison for two years for his part in a corruption case over his transfer from Brazilian club Santos in 2013. Judge Jose Perals also called for a five-year sentence for former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and a fine of 8.4million euros (£7.2m) for the club. It asked to drop charges against current president Josep Maria Bartomeu. Rosell, Neymar and his father are set to stand trial. The case stems from a complaint by Brazilian investment group DIS, which owned 40% of Neymar's transfer rights and alleges it received less money than it was entitled to from transfer fee. Rosell resigned as the club's president in 2014 for his role in the affair and testified in court in February alongside Bartomeu, Ne
Steven Gerrard turns down MK Dons, could return to Liverpool

Steven Gerrard turns down MK Dons, could return to Liverpool

International News
Steven Gerrard could rejoin Liverpool as an academy coach after he rejected the chance to manage Milton Keynes Dons, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC. ESPN FC sources revealed on Saturday that League One outfit MK Dons, who are searching for a new manager after the departure of Karl Robinson last month, were set to fail in their bid to tempt Gerrard into his first managerial role at Stadium:mk. Gerrard, who is in the process of earning his UEFA A coaching licence, has yet to make a decision on his next move after confirming he is leaving LA Galaxy when his contract expires in December, but it is reported he is open to a return to his former club in a coaching role which could be combined with a similar position with the England senior squad. He is also conside
Man City skipper Kompany dealt major knee injury blow

Man City skipper Kompany dealt major knee injury blow

International News
The defender will again spend time on the sidelines with a fitness problem he sustained during his team's 2-1 win vs Crystal Palace Pep Guardiola says Vincent Kompany will be out for "weeks" with a knee injury. Kompany was withdrawn during the first half of Manchester City's 2-1 victory at Crystal Palace on Saturday following a collision with goalkeeper Claudio Bravo. Guardiola initially feared Kompany had suffered a head injury, but that is not the case. However, the City boss has revealed that the centre-back has injured his knee, and his "sad" about his latest set-back. "He's injured," the City boss said ahead of City's Champions League game against Borussia Monchengladbach. "Fortunately there is nothing wrong with the head, but it is his knee. He will be out for weeks." ...
USA want Avram Grant to replace Klinsmann

USA want Avram Grant to replace Klinsmann

International News
Bruce Arena and Avram Grant are on a two-man shortlist to become the new United States coach, according to Sky sources. LA Galaxy head coach Arena is the favourite to replace Jurgen Klinsmann who was sacked on Monday. Arena was the USA coach from 1998 to 2006 and led his country to two World Cups. Grant is the other candidate after impressing the US Soccer Federation with the job he has done coaching Ghana. Grant led Ghana to the final of last year’s African Cup of Nations where they were beaten on penalties by Ivory Coast. The former Portsmouth and West Ham United manager also led Chelsea to the final of the 2008 Champions League where they lost on penalties to Manchester United in Moscow.Klinsmann was sacked as USA boss with his team bottom of their World
Bellerin extends contract with Arsenal

Bellerin extends contract with Arsenal

International News
Spain defender Hector Bellerin has signed a new long-term deal with Arsenal. The 21-year-old right-back joined Arsenal in 2011 and is established in the starting line-up. He signed a new long-term deal in July 2015 but had been linked with a move away, whether to his former club Barcelona or to Manchester City. "I have been here a long time, I feel like this is my home and this is the right thing to do," Bellerin said. "I am very happy to still be a Gunner for many more years." Bellerin has made 67 top-flight appearances, including 11 this season before he was ruled out for four weeks with injury. Sourc: BBCSports
FA will take no action against Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana

FA will take no action against Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana

International News
The Football Association will not take action against England and Liverpool midfielders Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana after reports they visited a strip club while on international duty. The pair allegedly made the trip a day after a World Cup qualifying win over Scotland and less than three days before a draw in a friendly with Spain. It is also understood the FA did not tell England captain Wayne Rooney to apologise over "inappropriate" pictures of him at a wedding at the team hotel during the same international break. The Sun newspaper published images it said showed Rooney drunk at a party late on Saturday night - a day after the 3-0 win over Scotland on 11 November. Rooney "unreservedly" apologized to interim England manager Gareth Southgate after pictures emerged. ...
Stephen Gerrard offered MK Dons job

Stephen Gerrard offered MK Dons job

International News
Steven Gerrard has been offered the MK Dons job and will confirm whether or not he will accept it on Monday, Sky sources understand. The former England and Liverpool captain is leaving LA Galaxy when his contract expires next month and is looking for a new challenge in football. The 38-year-old joined the MLS side in June 2015 after spending 17 years in Liverpool's first team, playing 710 times and winning eight major trophies. Gerrard, who is is currently pursuing his Uefa A coaching license, has also been linked with Scottish champions Celtic where he would be reunited with former manager Brendan Rodgers. Liverpool's current manager Jurgen Klopp said Gerrard would "always so welcome at Liverpool FC" when asked whether there could be a role for the Reds legend at Anfield.
Yaya Toure marks Manchester City return with a brace

Yaya Toure marks Manchester City return with a brace

International News
Yaya Toure marked his shock return to the Manchester City team with two goals as his side grabbed a dramatic late win at Crystal Palace. Toure, making his first Premier League appearance of the season, combined with Nolito before firing City ahead. Palace's pressure paid off when Wilfried Zaha set up substitute Connor Wickham to smash home a second-half equaliser. But Toure, who has not featured at all for City for almost three months, had the final word when he turned home Kevin de Bruyne's corner from close range. The win moves City second in the table, level on points with leaders Liverpool and with an identical goal difference. Palace, who suffered their fifth straight league defeat, remain one point above the relegation zone. Yaya Toure's team-mates surrounded him ...
Executed: Nigerian Player, Obioha Hanged In Singapore For Drug Trafficking

Executed: Nigerian Player, Obioha Hanged In Singapore For Drug Trafficking

International News
Singapore on Friday executed Nigerian Chijioke Stephen Obioha who was convicted of drug trafficking, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) released in a statement. The Nigerian alongside another Malaysian were hanged after their last-minute appeals were rejected by the country’s authorities. “A 38-year-old male Nigerian national, Chijioke Stephen Obioha, had his death sentence carried out on 18 November 2016 at Changi Prison Complex,” the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) said in a statement. Obioha, who came to Singapore hoping to be a footballer, according to news agency AFP, was convicted of trafficking 2.6 kilograms of cannabis in 2008. Under the Misuse of Drugs Act (MDA), the death penalty is imposed if the amount of cannabis trafficked is 500g or more. Obioha was given the
Yannick Bolasie joins Everton from Crystal Palace on five-year contract

Yannick Bolasie joins Everton from Crystal Palace on five-year contract

International News
Congo international moves to Goodison Park on five-year deal Everton have announced the signing of Yannick Bolasie from Crystal Palace for an undisclosed fee. The 27-year-old has agreed a five-year deal to move to Goodison Park as Ronald Koeman's fourth senior signing of the summer transfer window. “I’m looking forward to putting on the Everton shirt,” Bolasie told evertonfc.com. “This is a big club and I know all about it from having played against them over the years. “For me, it was a no-brainer to come here. But now that I’ve come to Everton, the job is not done. I’ve got to work hard and feel my way in. I’m ready and up for the challenge." Yannick Bolasie has made 90 career Premier League appearances Koeman was delighted to complete a deal for the attacking midfi