Tag: Senegal

Manchester United sets sights on Senegalese youngster Diatta

Manchester United sets sights on Senegalese youngster Diatta

African Sports
Starsport understands United boss Jose Mourinho sent club scouts to watch Diatta in action for Norwegian club Sarpsborg 08 against Odd on Monday. Diatta, 18, is regarded as one of the most promising youngsters currently playing in Europe and United have monitored his progress in recent months. The midfielder has strength, athleticism and pace and has caught the attention of Mourinho and his coaching team. Sarpsborg handed Diatta a new four-year deal in February in a bid to keep him at the club. But this will not stop United from making a move should Mourinho decided he wants to add him to his squad.Diatta admits joining a European giant like United would be a dream come true. He said: "I'm young and just have to work hard. It's a dream for me to play to play in the big leagu...
2018 World Cup: Burkina Faso drop Patrick Malo for ‘mistakes’

2018 World Cup: Burkina Faso drop Patrick Malo for ‘mistakes’

African Sports
Patrick Malo has been left out of the Burkina Faso squad for next month's World Cup qualifier in South Africa. The 25-year-old played in the 2018 qualifiers earlier this month against Senegal, which both ended in draws. "Everyone makes mistakes‚ but Malo is making too many‚" said Burkina Faso coach Paulo Duarte. Duarte says Malo had to rush to the dressing room to find his match shirt when asked to come on as a substitute during the Senegal game in Dakar. The error meant the injured Issouf Paro had to stay on the pitch for an extra five minutes before Malo, who plays for Egyptian side Smouha, eventually replaced him. "There's one thing I will not tolerate and that is being unprofessional with a country's dream to go to the World Cup," added Duarte. "Patrick Malo is the pl
Senegal’s US Ouakam ban reduced to five years

Senegal’s US Ouakam ban reduced to five years

African Sports
The Disciplinary Committee of the Senegalese Professional League has reduced the suspension of US Ouakam from seven to five years. The club appealed against the ban for crowd trouble which left eight people dead during the League Cup final against Stade de Mbour in July. US Ouakam will still have to pay a fine of more than $18,0000. The 2011 champions will still have to play in the lowest tier of Senegalese football at the end of the ban.  Source: BBC
Senegal coach cries conspiracy after WAFU exit

Senegal coach cries conspiracy after WAFU exit

African Sports
Senegal coach Moustapha Seck claims his side were handed a raw deal in their final Group B match of the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations which led to their eviction. He is refusing to understand why a legitimate goal scored against Cote d'Ivoire at the Cape Coast Stadium on Tuesday, September 19 was disallowed. Seck was also furious about the four minutes additional time played in the other Group match which saw Benin win 2-1 at the death against a nine-man Niger at the Nduom Stadium. Had that match in Elmina ended in a draw, Senegal would have advanced on the head-to-head rule against Benin, whom they crushed 4-0. “In our game against Ivory Coast we scored, but I don't know why the referee refused to accept the goal,” said the Teranga Lions coach. “I don't know about the other
Cote d’Ivoire and Senegal crashed out of Wafu

Cote d’Ivoire and Senegal crashed out of Wafu

African Sports
Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire only have themselves to blame after crashing out of the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations following their goalless draw in their final Group B game at Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Tuesday, September 19. Senegal came out the blocks firing and created the first chance on goal in the opening minute when Assane Mbodji met a cross from the right, showing good skill to bring it under control before shooting wide from 14-yards out. The action quickly switched to the other end of the field when Ivorian Babou Diarra saw his powerful long range free-kick brilliantly saved by the keeper in the fifth minute. The next opportunity in front of goal only came in the 25th minute when Daouda Dieme cut into the Cote d’Ivoire box from the left flank, beating two defenders before
Burkina Faso go to Cas over South Africa v Senegal 2018 replay

Burkina Faso go to Cas over South Africa v Senegal 2018 replay

African Sports
The Burkina Faso Football Federation (FBF) is appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) over the replaying of a World Cup tie. Fifa ordered the tie between South Africa and Senegal to be replayed due to "match manipulation" by the referee. South Africa won the match 2-1 and decided against appealing the order. The FBF says it "continues to oppose a decision that is tainted by abuse of power and irrelevant to the texts of the international football authority." The statement continued: "the federation, which relies on its declaration to appeal to the respect of the virtues of football, invites the Burkinabe sports public to the serenity and the mobilization around the Stallions." Cas confirmed it received the documents from the FBF for the appeal on 19 September. ...
Senegal coach Moustapha Seck fears early exit

Senegal coach Moustapha Seck fears early exit

African Sports
Senegal coach Moustapha Seck fears his side could face early elimination after a 2-1 defeat to Niger on Friday, September 15 in their opening Group B match at the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations. The Teranga Lions were the better team in the second half and managed to level the scores in the 61st minute thanks to a goal from Assane Mbodji. This was after Niger had gone ahead on 28 minutes through Victorien Adje Adebayor, but a late goal from Hinsa Issoufou in the 89th minute handed Niger the win. “Let me first congratulate our opponents Niger for winning this match,” said Seck after the loss. “Who said Senegal is a favorite for the tournament. “All the teams here are equal only for the players on the pitch to fight to change things. “Our first match wasn't good but today we
Diabate: Niger are here to win WAFU 2017

Diabate: Niger are here to win WAFU 2017

African Sports
Niger assistant coach Chieck Omar Diabate says his inexperienced squad is hungry for success at the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations. The Menas gave their title winning chance a shot with a 2-1 win over Senegal in their opening Group B match on Friday, September 15. After suffering elimination in the 2017 African Nations Championship, Diabate expects the select band of players to use this tournament to placate their fans. “We have a young team and we started by eliminating Burkina Faso and we have now come to the group stage and our first victim is Senegal. That means we are a good side,” said the assistant Niger coach. “Senegal are not a small team. Technically and tactically they are strong but our boys are really willing to do something because we were eliminated from the
South Africa will not appeal against World Cup replay

South Africa will not appeal against World Cup replay

African Sports
South African football chiefs have agreed a 2018 World Cup qualifying tie against Senegal should be replayed "on ethical and moral grounds". World governing body Fifa ordered the replay after the referee for the original game, Joseph Lamptey, was banned for manipulating the match. The South African Football Association (Safa) had been considering an appeal but now says it agrees with Fifa. However it said it would appeal should the referee's ban be overturned. South Africa beat Senegal 2-1 in the original tie last year. On Tuesday Safa said it "has decided on ethical and moral grounds that if this match was manipulated, we should replay it". It later added: "We have however, noted that the official at the centre of all this controversy has appealed his case to the courts ...
World Cup: South Africa consider replay appeal

World Cup: South Africa consider replay appeal

African Sports
South Africa may appeal against Fifa's decision to order a replay of the World Cup qualifier against Senegal because of "match manipulation" by the referee. South Africa beat Senegal 2-1 at home last November but match referee Joseph Lamptey has since been banned for life. Neither South Africa nor Senegal are accused of any wrongdoing. "We're grappling for answers and asking Fifa for them before we decide whether to take the matter forward," said South African FA lawyer Norman Arendse. Arendse, who chairs the legal committee of the South African Football Association (Safa), says his organisation has never been advised by football's world governing body how the match was fixed. "Safa cannot accept (the game was manipulated) because we have got absolutely no details of the all...